April 15, 2008

The Proposal

Ok so to really tell this story I would have to start all the way back to June 2008. I will spare you all the long story and instead give you the cliff notes version. It all started about a week before my 22nd birthday. 22 is my favorite number so I was really looking forward to this birthday! D kept asking me if I had any idea about what he had gotten me. For the most part I really had no clue. A few hints here and there led me to believe that I would be going on a trip but to where I had no idea. The day before my birthday D told me that I would need to dress for pretty much the same weather as here (cold, snowy, freezing...). I figure I had it down to three options; Chicago, New York, or Detroit (yes, I know, Detroit.. but the new MGM Grand just came in and D knew how much I wanted to go there for dinner.. so it was a possibility). The night before my birthday my parents came up to celebrate with D and I. It was then that D gave me a card telling me to be ready to fly. He asked me if I still felt like guessing where we were going and of course, I knew: NEW YORK. I was so excited, I had never been to New York and have always wanted to. That night I packed my bags and went to bed so I could be up early for our flight the next morning.

I woke up the morning of my birthday to candles and roses lining the hallway. All I could think about what oh my gosh, he is going to propose..... As I walked down the hallway I was so excited but when I saw D standing by the coffee table with breakfast made, fresh strawberries, champagne, and chocolate milk(an inside joke from how we met) I knew it wasn't going to happen. Along with the roses and candles were hand written notes (22 to be exact) with messages from D about our past and how much he loved me. I was slightly disappointed but still so surprised and happy at the same time. When we got to New York we went to our hotel which was amazing! It was a small boutique hotel right in Times Square and I (and the designer in me) loved it! After we got settled we decided to go for dinner and walk around for a while to see the sights. We decided to go look at all of the amazing Christmas window displays and after seeing almost all of them I was pretty tired. I started getting fairly grouchy and couldn't figure out why D wouldn't just let us go back to the Hotel or take a quick break. Finally he told me that we should go walk back down to Rockefeller Center ( the first time we walked by it was packed and we decided to pass it). I was busy taking pictures of the gorgeous Christmas Tree when D wrapped his arms around me and started telling me how much I meant to him and how much he loved me. He pulled out the little blue box (literally, he left it wrapped because he knew I would love to see that little blue box with the white ribbon) and asked me to open it. As I was opening it he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! as you all know, I said yes, called my parents and spent the rest of the vacation seeing the sights, going to Mary Poppins (front row seats, my Christmas present from D.. its my favorite movie from when I was a kid) and just enjoying each others company!

4 comments:

A Windy City Wedding said...

that is soooooo romantic. what a great story and you will always have a fabulous city to celebrate future occasions in. so cute!!

p.s. you have to let me know what you think of the jcrew dress when you get it!

jessica lynn said...

awwwww thanks for sharing!!! what a super cute proposal and one that you can always share with a little smile on your face because of how sweet and special it was!! Props to your fiance for an AMAZING proposal weekend/couple of days!

Kate said...

aww that is so cute and very romantic! congrats!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

So cute! I just found your blog- adorable! Oh, and 22 is my favorite number too! How funny.